Go Fish Ministries, Inc. News Letter Dec.1, 2011
Jesus said: Follow me and I will make you fishers for the souls of others. Matthew 4:19
It’s December! Merry Christmas, everyone! I do hope3 everyone has a joyous Christmas season and faithfully remembers the reason for the season, the birth of our Savior, Jesus Christ. With all the commercialism of the holiday, it’s sometimes hard to focus on what really matters. Out of necessity this year, I’ve decided to make most of my Christmas presents to others. I’ll make my delicious peanut butter cookies for all my family members, who love them. I’ve made my grandbabies cute little rag dolls, and a Christmas dress for Kylie, who just turned a year old yesterday. Wow, that was a fast year. Evie turns one on January 16th. In any case, I’ve decided that if a shoebox from Operation Christmas Child is good enough for kids on the other side of the world, it’s good enough for my kids and grandkids, too. If it won’t fit in a shoebox, it’s too much. We’re downsizing! We need to be focusing more on more important things , like loving each other, than just “things” and more “stuff” we don’t really need. We need to put time and effort into what we give, rather than just going out and buying something with money we really don’t have to spend. We need to be buying chickens and goats for people in distant lands to help them become self-sufficient. I’m getting back to my crafty days and making gifts for those I love, instead of buying a lot of stuff. I hope you will too.
Well, my garden is doing well and I’ve covered up what’s left of my summer growing plants to try to make them last as long as possible. I’ve covered my tomatoes and okra, and squash plants with clear plastic bags to make mini-greenhouses for them. We’ll see if they make it through this week of cold, below freezing weather. My greens are doing well and I have mustards, turnips, chard, collards, spinach, beets, and cabbage planted. Some are ready for eating and some are just getting started. My red speckled broad beans are doing well and still producing, so I think they do ok in the winter. Broad beans are supposed to be the only kind you can grow in winter. I’ve got a few carrots and potatoes planted as well and I’ve just tried some rutabagas. Mama wanted some, so I went to the Feed and Seed and bought some seeds and gave them a try. I do hope they do something. I got six new white leghorn chickens last month, which are now about 2 months old. I’m trying my best to keep them warm, so I’ve lined my cages with old corrugated street signs to insulate them from the cold and covered them with plastic to help retain the heat inside. They seem to be doing well and have already come through a few cold nights. They love to come out and scratch around on the warmer days. I’ve started to build them a log chicken house, but it’s slow work with a small ax. I’m going to try to cut one small tree down every two or three days and build it up as I go until it’s high enough to roof. It’s a five by five foot square which I hope to have finished by the spring.
Well, we’ve got our tree up and we’re feeling pretty festive in spite of low funds. God is good and we have everything we need, though not much extra. Rocky has been good enough to help out with the utility bills for a couple of months now, which allowed me to get all the Thanksgiving fixings. I have one Tupperware party lined up, so maybe it will go well and I’ll have a little Christmas money for a Ham and the fixings. In any case, God always provides what we need, so I’m confident we’ll have a good Christmas in spite of having little money. Christmas doesn’t have to be about how much or how little we have to spend, but how we spend our time and resources to bless others. God didn’t send us stuff for Christmas, but He sent us His very own Son, His heart and soul. We need to give from our hearts just like God did. Christmas is about giving, not getting. So whatever you do and however you choose to celebrate Christmas, remember the greatest gift, Jesus Christ, and give from the heart as God did. God bless you all and have a very Merry Christmas!
Notes and Prayer Requests
- This is the last Newsletter I will email to you unless you have notified me that you want to keep receiving them in your email box. I am now posting them all online on my website https://gofishministries.wordpress.com/ so you can access them at your convenience and have access to the archives as well.
- Pray for Sunny as she and Ben are about to be married in January. They are still both atheists so please pray for their salvation first and their marriage second.
- Pray for sweet blessings on my two new granddaughters, Kylie, who just turned one, and Evie, who turns one in January.
- Pray for Rocky’s spiritual growth and for him to get back in church regularly.
- Pray also for Tommy, who has had some physical difficulties and will be having surgery soon. He is also in the last few stages of getting accepted into thePoliceAcademy, so pray that everything goes well and that he is accepted. Pray for Amanda, who is expecting their second child and is working at the Forrest General emergency room.
- Please pray that I can get a new computer soon, as my laptop and that old desk top are out of service again and I have no means to finish my work on the paraphrase. Pray that God will provide the means for me to finish the work He gave me to do. I have some access to a computer at Rocky’s house but my Bible program and reference books are all at my house, so I really need a computer that I can use at home and be able to access everything I need to do the work well and in a timely manner.
- I am a Christian Counselor and would be willing to provide services to those in need. I have a master’s degree in Psychological Counseling and am an ordained Minister as well. Please pray that I may be useful to God’s kingdom.
- I have published all of my New Testament paraphrases and Old Testament Torah on my new website located at https://gofishministries.wordpress.com/ Also there is a link to my books for sale there too.
- Thank all of you who are praying for me on this.
- Go Fish Ministries, Inc. News Letter Nov.1, 2011 (gofishministries.wordpress.com)
- September 2011 Newletter (gofishministries.wordpress.com)
- January 2011 Newsletter (gofishministries.wordpress.com)